The Division is a national leader in research initiatives that further our understanding of complex disease processes and lead to innovative therapeutics. We share our knowledge and expertise with health care professionals and public through educational programs that promote the best practice of gastroenterology and hepatology.
The physicians associated with each of these Centers are recognized nationally and internationally as leaders in their respective fields. The Division offers a full range of diagnostic and therapeutic GI procedures including colonoscopy, upper endoscopy, ERCP, endoscopic ultrasound, manometry, and the latest in capsule video endoscopy. utilizing a state-of-art facility, we perform over 13,000 procedures yearly for diagnosis and management of common and complex GI disorders.
The Division is composed of a number of clinical and research Centers of Excellence including:
- The Center for Gastrointestinal Biology & Disease
- The Center for Liver Disease and Transplantation
- The Multidisciplinary Center for Inflammatory Bowel Disease Research & Treatment
- The UNC Center for Functional and Motility Disorders
- The Center for Esophageal Diseases and Swallowing
Robert Sandler, M.D., M.P.H.
Chief and Professor Division of Digestive Diseases & Nutrition